KMyMoney learned to send credit transfers to your (German) bank 🙂
For many years KMyMoney could do the other way round; download transactions from your bank using HBCI, FinTS and OFX. But to transfer money it was required to visit the bank’s web site again — a usability nightmare.
The current developer branch allows users to create SEPA credit transfers, store and send them — thanks to AqBanking (website is in German). Some basic features are available already, so the IBAN is validated and you get suggestions for BICs. Also an address book of account numbers was added to the payees. But that is not used for auto-completion, yet.
My vision is a program that helps you to do ordinary tasks. Did you ever pay overdraft interests because you overdrew an account while another account was well-stuffed? With KMyMoney it should be able do fix that problem with a minimal amount of clicks. Even better, for years KMyMoney creates a forecast based on scheduled transactions. So it can make suggestions to move your money from the saving accounts even before an account drops into the red zone.
Sadly only a small amount of users will profit from the credit transfers: only German banks are supported. Everything was created in a very flexible way. Hopefully somebody else will use that to add support for more protocols.
The Matlab 2014b editor does not offer any option to change the encoding of files. The editor always uses the system default. To change it anyway on Linux, you have to set the system variable LC_CTYPE (thanks to stackoverflow). E.g.
LANG="en_US.iso-8859-1" && /usr/local/bin/matlab -desktop
Fortunately you can use the command in a .desktop file in the
Exec=... line (Ubuntu has a nice description how to add Matlab to your window managers menus).
On other systems you can use similar tricks, which you will find in the Matlab documentation. Of course that has a side effects, your file names should not contain any special characters as Matlab assumes your filesystem uses the given encoding as well.
Some solutions I found suggested to change the default character set in Matlab using an undocumented command:
But this has no effect on the editor in the Matlab window. The figures are shown correctly then but the editor is still using your system’s default. So editing
.m files which contain any special characters will not work correctly and will likely destroy all special characters.
Now I just need a way to change the end of line style of the files. That seems to be the windows style (“
\r\n“) on all systems.
for some time now I am involved in the development of KMyMoney. So a blog seems to be useful.
Currently I am adding the ability to use online banking for credit transfers. As I decided to implement this functions in the most elegant way I could imagine this takes some time. But the development is close to a point where it can be released. Hopefully I can write more about this shortly.